Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Tradition

One of the things my husband and I like about starting up a family is that we can set up our own traditions. For our first Christmas as a husband and wife, we decided to focus on the Advent. 

Advent is a season observed in many Christian churches as a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas -Wikipedia

Last Sunday we gathered together in our living room and started to light our Advent Wreath (a symbol to remind us of the four weeks of Advent). 

We pray our daily advent prayer usually before dinner time and it will run till Christmas Day. We use a hand out that will guide us through in our prayer. I got ours from the Daily Scripture and Meditation website by Don Schwager. 


We also include a scripture reading in our prayer that will help us feel and envision Christ's coming. To end the prayer, we sing a short song as a way of worship and praise. You just have to be creative especially if you have little kids, I suggest you make it more fun so they won't get bored. 

At this time of the year, I get so caught up in many different things. Mostly, I want to make sure that I get every thing done on my to-do-list. Things like Christmas shopping and presents to my families, friends and coworkers, Christmas decorations, Christmas parties here and there, the list goes on and on. 

However, this year, above all else, I choose to put utmost importance to the Advent season as a way to prepare myself in the coming and birth of the Lord, Jesus, who ultimately is the reason of the season. Through daily advent prayers and scripture reading together with my family, I wish to deepen my understanding of God's word and His promise of salvation. And in understanding them may I be cleansed from all sin, broken relationships, and everything that hinders me from  receiving His love. May this preparation touch my heart and help me not to be a captive of earthly material things rather inspire me to give back all the generous and sometimes undeserved blessings received from God to those in need. May this bring us closer as a family like Jesus, Mary and Joseph, and may this tradition stand and be passed to our kids and future generations. 


xoxo,
Joselle 


No comments:

Post a Comment