Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Husband as a Leader


My prayer when I was searching for a suitable partner has been this, “Lord, please lead me to a man that will bring me towards You.” And I am so glad that God answered my prayer.


Now that I married a suitable partner, my prayer has been changed to: “Lord please empower my husband that he may continue to lead me and our marriage towards You.” And I thank Him for always answering my prayers.
One perfect example how God amazingly works in my husband was last Friday. Friday is a household meeting day in our community. We gather into small groups each Friday to learn God’s word or rather an important topic. So last week, my husband and I were asked if we can lead the discussion. Individually, my answer was sure, yeah why not, and then later informed my husband that he’s pretty much in-charge. Haha. As for me, I’ve done things like this so many times already in SFC but for my hubby, it’s his first time, however I urged him to take the plunge and go for it. I understand that in CFC, men should always be on top of women. Men are encouraged to step up and take leadership and wives to lovingly support their husbands. In the bible, you will see how it reveals to us that men should be the head of the household.

 "But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ. " 1 Corinthians 11:3

Men's role as leader of the household is vital in every Christian relationship. The role is not something for husbands to demand or wife to rebel against. It is also not something to argue about; it is a calling from God. Therefore, we must humbly obey.

Going back to my story, I was just surprised on how my husband took the responsibility of being the discussion leader. As I mentioned earlier, he has never done anything like this before in his entire life. He's a shy type and avoids the limelight. However, he grabbed the opportunity to speak as a man of God (on our prayer, he said that it’s an opportunity and didn’t think of it as an obligation) and really took it seriously. He studiously examined the materials, wrote down important notes, and prepared well for our talk. Hence, he delivered and did greatly on his first ever talk. I’m just so proud of my hubs!

As for me, as a wife, I believe my role was to encourage him and boost up his confidence in any way I can. Although I’ve hosted a discussion meeting a lot of times before and been with the community longer than him, I didn’t act as if I know better. I humbly took a step back but made him feel my full support. I joined him in every step and gave him my insights as well. I gave him room to grow spiritually and for him to acknowledge his role as head of the household. When I saw flaws on some things, I lovingly corrected and never intended destructive judgment. Had I badly criticized him, he might have felt like a failure and might have lost his interest in leading. In all things, remember to honor and appreciate all of our husbands’ works or deeds. Men do carry an inevitable role of being leader of the household so for us wives, let’s help in lightening up the load (:

“Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.” Ephesians 5:22-23

In addition to him leading me to God, before retiring to bed, he would always initiate praying before we doze off to sleep. Even before we eat or go out of the house. When I sometimes do things not in accordance to God's will, he would lovingly correct me. I’m so happy that he never forgets to include God in our everyday lives and to leading me to holiness. I’m a blessed wife! (:

xoxo,
Joselle

Preparing for household meeting at Starbucks
Nerd mode :)

No comments:

Post a Comment