Monday, January 28, 2013

Foodie journey: Jollibee Style Spaghetti




When I got engaged, I started to find the "cook" inside of me. Besides of having long life in our genes (read My ooh la la-Lola ) I just knew that being able to cook good just runs through our veins.

From my lolas, to my mom, to my aunts and to my sisters, all of them cook well and when we hold family get togethers, we all leave with happy-filled tummies. Because of this, it's a struggle to maintain a healthy diet in our family. Hahaha.

In my early years, I didn't show any interests in cooking because my mom would always cook for us. My forte was cleaning the house and washing our clothes, but cooking...hmmm never!

Oh but I remember I mastered cooking those instant pancit canton/yakisoba (noodles) back in the day because I loved to snack on them, with soft boiled egg. Yummo! Later on I realized that it's not good to eat them all the time because of their high sodium content. I had to say goodbye to those little monsters.   

When I was about to get married, I became best of friends with the kitchen. My mom still cooks for us but occasionally  I would volunteer to cook. I had to learn the basics so I started cooking breakfast. It's the simplest thing like frying an egg, spam, sausage, bacon, fried rice etc. I just had to get rid of my phobia of splattering, hot, melts-your-skin oil!

However, I just don't want to feed my husband with egg three times a day so I sought after my mom's help. My mother has this tantsa-tantsa way of cooking. She doesn't depend on exact measurements when she cooks. Luckily, I acquired the same thing because I know how her dishes taste like, I knew that I just put the right amount of salt or pepper. Also, I liked googling recipes in the internet when I feel adventurous. 

One of the dishes I learned to cook was spaghetti! It really was a no brainer dish. You just have to mix all the ingredients together for the sauce, and boil the pasta and you're done. Here in the US, you can even buy a ready-mixed spaghetti sauce jar that you can just heat and it's good to go if you're lazy.

However, I still like cooking mine from scratch. I liked my spaghetti but I was hoping it would taste like Jollibee's. Jollibee is the biggest fast food chain in the Philippines. I grew up eating their well known sweet style spaghetti with chickenjoy! Yummo! 

This weekend, I helped my aunt cook spaghetti for her guests and finally achieved the Jollibee style! Now I know how to make it and probably won't be missing Jollibee's spaghetti anymore. One of my friends asked me to share the recipe so I would like to share it here on my blog.

Moving forward, I will be sharing some recipes that I cook and hoping it would help young moms out there and young wives like me. 

So let me share with you my Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti or also known as Jollibee Style Spaghetti!

Ingredients:
2 lbs. of spaghetti pasta
1 lb. ground beef
1 tbs garlic
1 medium onion, diced
1 red bell pepper
5 pieces of sliced hotdogs 
1 big pack of Filipino sweet style tomato sauce (available in Asian stores)
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 bottle of banana catsup (I used Jufran)
1 small can of all purpose cream
salt
pepper


Procedure:

Pasta

  • In a large pot, put water and bring to a boil. 
  • Once water boils, put a bit of oil and salt
  • Add the spaghetti pasta and cook until it become tender or al dente.
  • Drain water and set aside.
Sauce
  • In another large pot, heat oil and saute onions and garlic. Do the onions first than the garlic cos garlic burns faster.
  • Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Let it simmer until cooked.
  • Mix in the red bell pepper and sliced hotdogs. Cook for about 5 minutes.
  • Add the Filipino sweet style tomato sauce, tomato sauce, banana catsup, and cream. Mix it well and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
Mix the pasta and sauce together and add cheddar cheese on top! Serve and enjoy! The serving can feed a crowd so if you want to lessen it, just adjust the ingredients accordingly. I have a big family so I don't know how to cook smaller portions. Hehehe. 

What sets this spaghetti apart is its sweetness by adding cream and banana catsup. I'm sure kids will fall in love with this and also those kids-at-heart. I am glad my hubby likes it. Nothing compares to the joy of satisfying my hubby's tummy. 

Till my next foodie blog!

xoxo,
Joselle


No comments:

Post a Comment