Monday, February 18, 2013

Foodie Journey: Oreo Truffles + Valentine's Day



Truffles are the sweetest thing in the world next to my hubby :) I decided to make my own truffles made of Oreo cookies on Valentine's Day as a present for my Valentine. Usually, guys give chocolates to girls isn't? However, in Japan, where Alan grew up, it's the other way around. The girls buy or sometimes make their own treats for their special someone. Then a month later, March 14, it's the guys turn to give the girls back chocolates or presents. It's called the White Day. Actually, it was March 14 too when Alan first confessed his love to me and that was where our love started :)

So I thought of an easy DIY chocolate gift for my hubby since I am no baker at all. This truffles are literally a piece of cake! hahaha. It's also a no bake cake so you don't have to worry about burning anything and wasting electricity.  

I brought a box of these decadent little monsters for my coworkers and they wanted me to share the recipe with them, so here you go.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pack of Oreo cookies

8 oz. cream cheese

12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

wax paper
lollipop sticks (optional)
mini baking cups (optional)


PROCEDURE:
1. Ground the Oreo cookies preferably with a food processor or a blender.

2. Mix in the cream cheese until well blended. In my case I only put half. My cousin said putting too much would make the balls too soft and might break apart easily.

3. To make the balls, roll a spoonful mixture using your hands.

4. Put in the fridge for 30 seconds or in the freezer for 15 seconds.

5. Melt the chocolate chips (or candy melts) using a microwave oven. Do so at 30 second intervals, then stir and put back into microwave until completely melted. Putting it on a setting for more than 30 seconds without stirring could result in burning. (On my first attempt, I left mine on the microwave for 3 minutes straight and burnt it. Our house smelled bad. lol)

6. Put the sticks in the balls and dip in the melted chocolate then place them in a wax paper.

7. Let them cool completely, put them in the cups, and refrigerate.


That's it! I was so glad my hubby liked it! All my efforts were worth it! 

I would like to thank my sisters for helping me and my cousin, Kristine for all her tips (she's the pro when it comes to baking in the family). 

Then on Valentine's day, my hubby surprised me with a bouquet of my favorite pink roses, a set of tea from my favorite tea place and a personalized card. I really appreciated all the effort he put in his gifts. 


In the evening, we just chilled and watched a romantic movie, Safe Haven, and ate at a Korean barbecue restaurant. Movie+food trip=perfect date! :) 

For me, since we're not permanently together yet, as much as possible, we try to make each day a Valentine's day when we're together. We hope our love inspires and ignites your love for your better half as well.

xoxo,
Joselle

No comments:

Post a Comment