Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Be bold!


Five years ago, I attended a Christian seminar for single ladies and gentlemen called “Pathways”. It was facilitated by a covenanted community called Ligaya ng Panginoon. One of the things I learned from there (and glad to have kept in my daily routine till this day) was committing myself to a daily prayer time. My prayer time would consist of reading today’s scripture, meditation (clearer explanation of the scripture) and my personal conversation with God. This helps me to have a deeper relationship and connection with Him. It helps me too to live according to His will and guides me to every decision I make. As much as it is helpful to me, it is helpful too when you share what you’ve learned to other people, especially people outside of your church or your comfort zone. This is called “evangelization”. I never thought I could evangelize myself. If you know me well, I am actually timid, soft spoken, and sometimes I don’t know how to put my thoughts well into words, especially verbally and much worst, in English. Hahaha. Although I know it’s not impossible but of course there are fear of rejection and the thought that people might think I’m a weirdo or a freak. Anyway, the reason why I’m blogging about this was I had a fine lunch today with my coworker. She is having a tough time with her family and she shared with me very sensitive issues (of course I would leave that part between her and myself only). By the way, around the office, most of the time I would only hear people uttering about if not about business matters, it would be gossip. So I just felt honored that this person trusts me to hear out some of her problems. And I thought that God wanted me to say something to her through me. I was thinking if I should be bold to share with her the word of God cos I honestly don’t know what her views and beliefs are but at that time I just felt I had to. Thankfully I remembered what the scripture of the day was and it’s about this:

Matthew 5:43-48:

43 "You have heard that it was said, `You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Amazingly, the scripture was actually related to what she was going through. And then she thanked me and said she really needed to hear something positive. She even asked what church do I go to and she’s thinking of going back to church. After that, a feeling of genuine happiness kicked in knowing that I’ve been used by Him to comfort someone. I realized that if everyone tries to be compassionate, sympathetic, and uplifting with each other, the world would be so much better.

Let’s plant scriptures in our hearts, harvest them and share it to others. Do not be afraid! Do not be selfish! As the bible quotes, “And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation”. -Mark 16:15

Also we must act what we preach. Never claim that we read the scriptures but then act otherwise. No one would believe and we would be judged as hypocrites. Let's set an example of how to be a good Christian so that people would see Christ in us. 

Even blogging or posting testimonies of your faith in Facebook is somehow a form of evangelization. Thus I hope that I glorify my God through this.

Xoxo,
Joselle

No comments:

Post a Comment