Saturday, September 14, 2013

Journey to NYC Day 1 & 2

Hello there everyone! I'm so excited to blog about my incredible adventure to the Big Apple to attend one of my best friend's wedding. My first travel to New York was with my husband when we were still dating 4 years ago. With us was my bff, Ate Beng, my very first girl friend and household leader in Atlanta. She went to NY to visit Chris, the guy whom she met in a Singles for Christ conference in California in 2008. On 2009, they became officially together and after 4 years of dating, discernment, and prayers they finally tied the knot! I had a very memorable time and I hope you let me share it with you.   

I flew out Saturday morning and very so timely, I found a Manhattan wedding chick flick in the plane called Bride Wars. It's about two best friends who wanted to get married ever since they were little girls in a hotel called the Plaza in Manhattan but got into some major fight because of a conflict in their wedding dates. The brides in this movie were the epitome of a 'bridezilla', it's scary. It's sad that they put a lot of their efforts and frustrations in having a perfect wedding and missed on important things in life like nurturing their relationships with their future husbands. Wedding planning is blood and sweat and so can sometimes either make or break a couple. I'm glad to hear that my bff was a very relaxed bride like me. hehe. We both are very blessed to have very good and godly men. They're also lucky to have a lot of friends and family who lovingly and willingly helped them achieve a very elegant but simple, love-filled and heartwarming wedding. 

The day before their wedding, as soon as I landed in the hustling city of Manhattan, I attended an anticipated mass at Church of St. Francis of Assisi with my other two bff's Myk and Sheila and prayed for a safe and meaningful vacation. 
Chris and Ate Beng invited us to attend their rehearsal dinner held in an authentic NYC pizza place called Grimaldi's. I loved that their pizzas were thinly sliced so I was able to fit 2 big slices in my tummy. I also loved their espresso gelato truffle! Haaay I was hoping that my dress would still fit me after that super delizioso dinner.hehe. After that, we had some bonding time over karaoke with Singles for Christ New York. Blessed to meet new friends and to have mingled with these awesome people.
Here's our home for the weekend that we booked via airbnb.com. We were very satisfied and impressed with this affordable and cute condo centrally located in Midtown Manhattan. I recommend airbnb.com for those of you who travel on a budget. 
Most of what was on my itinerary were recommended by Patty Laurel, a Filipina blogger/jet-setter (I can't believe she replied to my email! kilig fan moment right there.hehe). Thank you Patty! 

Early Sunday morning, we went for brunch to a very cute and very native market place a few blocks away from our condo, Chelsea Market. Sheila and I felt for a second that we were real New Yorkers and not tourists. haha. I fell in love this place, I can live here! lol 
They had the biggest Anthropologie store I had ever seen!!! I was day dreaming of an Anthropologie inspired house while I was window shopping. hehe. I told myself that my extra luggage room was only meant for food pasalubong and my money was only for food tripping so I had to control myself from shopping. It was an absolute torture!
Right outside Chelsea Market was The Highline. A public park elevated above the streets on Manhattan's west side. 
In the afternoon was Chris and Ate Beng's wedding ceremony held at St. John the Baptist (Padre Pio) few blocks away again from our condo (happy with how convenient our place was!). It was a very solemn and spirit filled wedding centered in the presence of Christ. I am sure it was a dream come true for my dear friend to have walked down the aisle towards her groom and towards Jesus on the cross. I'm amazed on how much she's patiently waited for the right guy to find her. She's a testimony that true love waits and that it is possible to set high standards in looking for our future husband and have faith in God that He will grant them. I'm glad she didn't settle for anything less than she deserved.  

In the evening was their reception held in Pennsylvania 6 few steps away from the church. We had the bar all for ourselves and partied the night away. Congrats again Mr. and Mrs. Metzger! 
And because the city never sleeps, the tourists barely get sleep too! After the wedding, we still had the energy and went sight seeing and bustled through the glittering lights of the concrete jungle. We walked to Grand Central where I imitated Serena walking down the stairs (Gossip Girl.haha). Then we dashed towards the hypnotizing lights of Time Square. Ang ganda! After all the walking, we stopped for hotdogs sold in street carts then hailed a cab and finally hit the sack. 
xoxo,
Joselle

No comments:

Post a Comment