Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan)

Typhoon Yolanda also known as Haiyan, one of the strongest storms hit the Philippines on Friday, headlined all over the world. When I learned about the news early in the morning, first thing I did was to contact my dear husband and check on my family's status. I'm glad that Metro Manila was spared and my husband affirmed me that all was well with them, however my heart just breaks for the people in Visayas and Palawan. Each day, the number of dead bodies arise, families mourn, clean water and food become scarce and power remains down. My countrymen desperately need help! 

Sympathies and prayers mean a lot but it would mean so much more if we could act and do something to help. Thanks to technology, reaching out was made easy. We, here in the US can quickly give donations online. Our ministry, Couples for Christ together with ANCOP (Answering the Cry of the Poor) are raising funds to aid the needs of the victims. 


On a lighter note, it is just so nice to know that a lot of Filipinos are quick and eager to give help. Even other countries have kindly extended assistance. In the office today, I did a favor for one of my coworkers and she asked me what she could do to repay me. Instead of saying "you owe me lunch", haha, just kidding, I immediately thought of soliciting funds for the victims of Yolanda. hehe. I sent her the link where she could donate and she said she was glad to share. Although I am not the kind of person who expects anything in return, I thought, the heck with that, (kinapalan ko ng konti face ko.hehe) it's not for me anyways but for my fellow kababayans. We may all be in different financial situations. I know that times are tough these days and it doesn't exclude us here in America, but each one of us can help in our own little ways. Just being alive is enough reason to be grateful and give back to those in great need. If you are Filipino, if you love Filipinos, if you are a Christian or if you just have a heart for humanity, show it! Donate now. Give till our pockets hurt! 

Dear God, use us mightily to comfort all of your children in need. May you always instill in us charitable and compassionate hearts. Help us be cheerful givers and sensitive to the needs of others. May you help the Philippines recover and may you console the people who lost their loved ones. Please give our country fortitude and may we not lose hope that in your perfect time, you will deliver us from this wrath. In Jesus name, Amen.
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” (2 Cor 1:3,4)


xoxo,
Joselle

No comments:

Post a Comment