Sunday, June 30, 2013

Equality

It's official! My mom is now a legitimate citizen of the United States of America! Congratulations mother! 

I took a day off that day and drove her to the USCIS office where her oath ceremony took place. Out of 114 candidates from 53 countries, she's the only Filipino. We were sitting in a sea of people from different nations and it felt like we were in the Olympic games at that moment. 

Sitting from the back, I was stunned to see different colors of people, white, black, brown, and yellow. Despite the differences in race, color, class, religion, everyone was warmly welcomed by the state to become a naturalized citizen. One of the things I love about this land is EQUALITY. 
"The United States was born with a Declaration of Independence that proclaimed, as a self-evident truth, that, “all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness—That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men.” According to the founders of the United States of America, all people are equal, by virtue of their humanity, in possession of certain rights (such as rights to liberty) that it is the responsibility of government to protect." - Equality under the constitution
Looking back to the 5 years I've lived here, I've never once felt discriminated nor treated unfairly because of my race or my status quo. I've occasionally dined in five star restaurants, flew out of the state and out of the country perhaps with CEO's and among six figure earners but never did they let me feel that I don't belong here.

I can eat what Richie rich people eat and purchase high end brands (within my means though) without businesses scrutinizing my financial capability. What I'm trying to say is I don't feel a rampant difference between rich and poor, American or not. Everyone is able to get what they want as long as they work hard for it. Nobody will look at you from head to toe wondering if you fit right in the crowd. (I'm saying all these based from my own experience from the South.)

When it comes to laws, nobody is above the law. Everyone has to pay their taxes and their dues. Everyone must adhere to basic road rules and when they don't, they can't just get away with it. Police officers cannot be bribed by money nor be intimidated by one's fame.

Equality is such a wonderful gift that I'm grateful to receive and to enjoy. God bless the USA!

I pray this is something my own nation can develop and enjoy too in the future. I'm positive we will all get there someday. 

In the eyes of God, we are all equal after all. We are all created by Him in His image and likeness, we are all his children, and we are all given the chance to be citizens of His kingdom. We should all love each other and treat one another kindly and respectfully. One perfect example of this is Jesus' love for us. He treats us not as we deserve but instead, with love and grace. 

Treated mom to a fancy pansy all American food after her ceremony:)
reciting the Pledge of Allegiance

President Obama's welcome speech


xoxo,
Joselle

No comments:

Post a Comment